Time to get heat-pump ready
As we confront news of soaring energy prices and the phasing out of gas boilers, many of us are turning our attention to how to make our homes warmer and more efficient.
In response we are launching our HouseWarming programme. This aims to prepare our homes to meet net zero targets, phase out fossil fuels and cut down energy use.
Maybe you are already thinking about what you can do in your home to use less energy or are interested in finding out more about the options? But where to start? The internet is awash with information – the pros and cons of different energy saving choices, baffling economics; an endless list of suppliers that it’s hard to know whether to trust, and plenty of technical information that isn’t always easy to understand. It can often be a confusing space, generating more questions than answers.
What is the HouseWarming programme?
Our HouseWarming programme will bring homeowners together to help navigate this overwhelming amount of information; build greater understanding of the options available; and look to identify the right steps for each home.
How to join
If you live in North Oxford* we invite you to be part of this collaborative and supportive group. If you think you might be interested in joining the programme, please email Sharon, our HouseWarming programme coordinator: email@example.com .
If you aren’t ready to get involved yourself, do consider forwarding this information to friends or neighbours. Anyone interested who lives in the LCON area is very welcome to join, and we hope you will find that as a local charity we offer independent and trustworthy support.
*Our North Oxford area is the council wards of Carfax and Jericho, Cutteslowe and Sunnymead, Summertown, Walton Manor and Wolvercote.
We’re starting with a meeting on Tuesday 22 February at 7pm at the Woodstock Road Baptist Church (venue to be confirmed). This will provide the opportunity to discuss your concerns, promote the issues and challenges that you would like to see addressed and, crucially, offer your views on the first draft of our ‘Taking Stock’ deep dive’ guide (see below).
A series of five ‘deep dive’ guides is being prepared to support people taking part in the HouseWarming programme. These guides, prepared by independent experts, will walk through the options, considering key questions for each stage of any plans to ensure they will work for you and your home. Subjects covered will include:
- Taking Stock – this deep dive will provide techniques and approaches to help you identify your homes current status, including thermal images and what they tell you, Energy Performance Certificates and air tightness v air quality.
- Insulation – what are the options for insulation – roof, internal and external walls, floors? How do different materials compare in effectiveness, environmental credentials and potential cost?
- Ventilation – what is a mechanical ventilation scheme and how does air stay healthy? Which draught proofing works best in different applications?
- Heating (and cooling) – what is needed for air source and ground source heat pumps to work effectively and efficiently? What size of pump is needed and how can this be reduced?
- Building a renovation pathway – whole house surveys, planning a renovation including timings and priorities.